Friday, January 4, 2013

And... We Wait

And wait.

And wait.

And WAIT for the little man to join us in this world. And let me tell you, I'm getting antsy! I'm not the most patient person as it is, so every day I have to remind myself that he's just not ready, and every day that he continues to bake is good for him.

[Note: this post may be filled with moments of self-pity.]

In the meantime, I've been trying to stay on top of housework, cook larger portions (to freeze the leftovers for later) and stay rested because the doctors keep telling us it could be any day now. I think that might be the most exhausting part of it all... knowing that at any point, everything could change in a matter of minutes. Waking up and thinking every day might be THE day. (File that under "things people don't tell you.")

People keep asking me how I'm feeling. Family, friends & strangers alike. Well, I'm feeling like most anyone would probably feel who is carrying a full-term baby human: huge, uncomfortable and slightly miserable. My mom told me a few weeks ago that I'd reach a point where I feel like I'm going to be pregnant forever... and today, Mom, is that day. After sleeping only a mere 3 hours, I got up feeling more frustrated and drained than ever before.

I've also been having "pre-labor" contractions for about 2 weeks now, on and off, day and night. Like the kind of menstrual cramps that would normally result in popping 3-4 Advil. Joyful! When they started and my doctor confirmed they were, in fact contractions (and a "very good sign"), I think we convinced ourselves that it was almost time for the main event. Not so much...

Yesterday, I went and got a pedicure. I figured if my feet are going to be in the faces of multiple strangers for a few days, they should at least be pretty feet. You should have seen the look on the face of the dude who gave me my pedi when I told him I was due in less than a week. First came the shock, then came the "oh sh*t" look. I really wish I would've been on my game and said something like "I hope you can catch!"

The one sweet thing about being so near the end? People are coming out of the woodwork calling, texting, emailing, etc with warm wishes and words of encouragement. To those of you who have reached out, thank you. It means so much to hear from you. I am a giant ball of nerves, and you make it better! And if I haven't called you back yet, please don't take it personally. I'm not my usual chipper self :)

To end on a positive note, it's looking like we're going to have one more quiet weekend as a family of two. Gotta soak up every last second together before we have to share! Plans include going out to breakfast, naps, movies, a loooooong walk or two, more naps and more eating. People have suggested Eggplant Parmesan & spicy Mexican as dishes that can help jump-start things. Anybody know anything about that?

1 comment:

  1. EEK! I cannot contain my excitement anymore (if you check your blog traffic it may or may not show you that I've been refreshing it several times a day looking for updates from you). I am SO darned pumped for your little man to come into this world and have what I assume will be the best parents ever raising him and loving him from day 1. Hang in there, and pretty please remember all of this for the day I call you 9 months pregnant and freaking out so you can calm me ;).

    PS - your pedicure story had me laughing out loud at my desk. :)
    PPS - I know you FEEL huge and uncomfortable, but for the record - everyone that sees your pictures (myself... my mom, my hubby, my sis... cause I can't help it, sorry) think that you LOOK amazing. Seriously sista-from-another-mista, can you even tell you're preggers from behind?? You look awesome. Adorable. For reals.

    Love! -me

    ReplyDelete