Monday, June 4, 2012

9 Weeks and Counting!

This week, we are 9 weeks! It sounds like nothing, but it feels like it's been forever!! We found out about Pixel (Tom's name for the sweet monster taking over my body) at 4.5 weeks, and the month since then has draaaaged. I've quickly discovered a few important things:

1. Despite what I thought, I used to drink. A lot. It's CRAZY how many lies I've had to tell to friends, co-workers & clients in the past few weeks. Granted, the Advertising industry is notorious for fostering alcoholism, but gone are the days of normal happy hours, client dinners & nights out with friends. For those who know me well, you know I am a horrible liar. I feel like every time someone puts a drink in my hand or on my desk (yes, at work), the look on my face of pure anxiety HAS to give me away. So far, nobody has questioned me too much, but I still have about a month to keep quiet.

2. I used to wear really tight clothes. I feel like I am a pretty self-aware person, but until about 2 weeks ago, I didn't realize my love for skinny jeans extended 90% through my collection of pants. Currently, getting dressed Mon-Fri is a struggle. I can't tell if I've actually gained weight or my weight is just shifting, but things are different. Different enough so that we had to buy one of those "belly bands" so that I can keep wearing my skinny pants.

3. Nausea is for real, people. I read so many articles about morning sickness because I just always had a feeling that I'd be one of the lucky ones to experience it. I bought the extra expensive pre-natal vitamins with triple the B6, supposed to curb nausea. I drink lots of water. I exercise. I drink fresh ginger tea. But no matter what I do, every single day is a struggle. Thankfully, my "morning" sickness stops short of involving puking, but not by much! And I don't know why it's called "morning" sickness because it hangs around all damn day.

4. This stage of pregnancy is incredibly isolating. We have a HUGE secret and NOBODY knows! By the time you all read this, this point will be null, but please know that every minute of every day all I wanted to do was call you and spill my guts. And I'd probably be either laughing or crying while doing so because my mood is either high or low - there's no middle ground. Because my mom experienced a miscarriage, the doctors say that I might be a small amount more likely to miscarry. Because of that, we've decided (painfully) to stay quiet until the 1st trimester is in the rear-view.

5. I can smell everything, and I can smell it 3 seconds before you. I've always had myself a super-sniffer, but the impossible has happened: it's gotten more super. The tiniest smells to a normal person are amplified and are overwhelming to me. Perfume, exhaust, cigarettes, meat, poop, alcohol - you name it, I can smell it like woah.

6. My baby daddy was born ready for this job. For real. No doubt a testament to his amazing parents, but he has not missed a beat since 6:30 am on Monday, May 7. When he read the results on the pee stick, I was the one that nearly passed out (for real). He was jumping around the apartment like a kid at Disney. When I was working late, he set up a photo booth so we could start capturing weekly belly shots. He is eager to indulge any craving I have. He monitors my calcium intake. He makes me go lay down if I even say the word tired. He gave up alcohol, too. I keep waiting for the "oh shit" moment but he claims there won't be one. It's really cool to see, and is actually very reassuring to me.

Besides those seemingly quirky but probably normal things, the only strong food craving I've had was for fresh fruit and fruit juice and it happened pretty quick. So quick in fact, that I thought it was all in my head. But we stocked up on it all: fruit, juice & even fruit snacks. One night I wanted mac & cheese. Currently, all I want is Honey Bunches of Oats. But that's the extent of it!

That's about all. Long post, but all things I've been thinking and wanting to tell someone!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment