Monday, October 15, 2012

je t'aime, Montreal!

For all the Americans out there, je t'aime = I love you.  (Because, you know, after a few days in French-speaking CANADA, I love all things French. Except pate. I HATE pate.)

So to back up a little, about 6 months ago, my dear father asked me what I wanted for my 30th birthday. I told him I wanted to go on a trip. See, when my brother was little, he got to go with my dad on business trips every year and I didn't. And they did cool boy things like golf in historic Pennsylvania towns and Dad drank Leinenkugels. (And they say kids don't remember things - HA!) I never got to go, so it was MY TURN! Plus, I don't need things - I have so many things! I just wanted some QT with my old man in a cool place. A little time went by and he asked me again (once he knew he was going to be a grandpa) - Do you want baby things? Furniture for the house maybe? Do you want to travel when you're that pregnant? My answer stood, I wanted a trip. And I had decided on Montreal.

So fast forward a few more months and we began to make our arrangements. It was really happening! We would fly into Montreal from our respective cities and meet at the airport. Then we'd spend Tues-Fri exploring, eating, sight-seeing, etc. So, bright & early last Tuesday Tom dropped me off at the airport and everything went off without a hitch. In fact, I was in the middle of sweet-talking the Canadian customs man into letting me bring my 5 granola bars, apple & bag of nuts into his country when Dad walked up behind me and we were able to go through together! (And yes, he left me keep my snacks.)

We spent the next few days eating (mostly) French food and wandering around town. We were adventurous and took both the bus & the metro to get around, which was fun. My favorite was Old Montreal - it had so much charm and the most beautiful architecture. And the Fall colors were spectacular in some parts! It was a great week with awesome QT with my Dad, exploring a new city and turning 30 in an unforgettable way.


Gorgeous buildings + Fall colors

Coffee break + giant-sized chocolate cake = happy afternoon
Breathtaking Notre Dame Cathedral

Downtown Old Montreal

Downtown Old Montreal
Old Montreal Park


Love him! Such a fun week.



2 comments:

  1. UMM. I love this. Love love love. Aaaand now I will be forwarding your post to my dad. You know, for future reference ;)

    ReplyDelete