Sunday, December 16, 2012

Let's Get Nautical

I have a theory that I was conceived on a boat. Or at least near a boat or water. Unfortunately, I've asked both parents separately and they disagree. I think that it's just been a while and maybe they don't remember. Ha! But how else can I explain how deep my love is for all things related to water, boats, stripes, navy blue, etc? (Growing up on a lake & learning to swim at a young age isn't enough!)

Ahhhh, I digress.

The littlest D's room has come together in a very nautical way, with a monster twist. And one of the main things in his room to bring this theme to life is the curtains! I had a vision for a long time of the curtains I wanted, but after 4 months of searching I decided that I just had to make them myself because they simply didn't exist. After sharing my vision with my mom, we decided this was something we could semi-easily do together. So that's just what we did!

After scouting fabric and plain white curtains (and making a few painful trips to Joann Fabrics), we found our supplies and got to work. For the curious, we started with these curtains and navy fabric that is a 60/40 cotton/poly blend. We also purchased fusible bonding webbing by Pellon so that we didn't have to do a lot of hacking and hemming and sewing. Everything you see below was done with a hot-ass iron and spray bottle (and lots of love and patience).

We split the project up into two days, and it went a little something like this:

Ironing out the first panel
Laying out the first panel
Speeding things up with dueling irons!
Finishing up with a final iron once-over
Full panel complete!
All done!
The total investment went a little something like this:
- About 9 hours, broken up over 2 afternoons
- Curtains: $24.99
- Blue fabric from Joann's: 3.5 yds at $7.99/yd = $27.97 (but I used a 40% coupon so it was $16.78)
- Pellon fusible webbing (#807) from Joann's: 6 yds at $2.99/yd = $17.94 (but I used a 40% coupon so it was $10.76)
- Fusible tape from Joann's: $3
Total: $55.53 (plus tax)

Not too shabby, eh?

I have to give a HUGE HUGE shout-out and thank you to my amazing mom who really owned this project (aka gave me great directions!) from start to finish. Couldn't have done it without you mama! xoxo

1 comment: