Big changes coming our way very soon: I'm going back to work. (Tear...cheer!...tear.)
Last summer when we were considering leaving Chicago, both Tom and I were talking to the agency that he eventually joined. But for reasons too boring for me to tell you about, I was unable to interview with them because of who my employer was. When the "ban" was lifted in January, I was obviously a little preoccupied, and wasn't even thinking about returning to the workforce. Once my hormones balanced back out (I think), I updated my resume and passed it along to the HR woman at the agency for the future. There was nothing open at the time, and they weren't expecting anything in the immediate future. Until 3 days later, you know, when they were.
Over the following two weeks I met with a few teams, and bam I had an offer. It really was that simple, and I'm not bragging (though it does sound annoying, sorry). There are so few people in this market with the particular experience they want, that it was kinda a no-brainer. Getting dressed in business attire after 3 months in yoga pants was the most stressful part of the process. #firstworldproblems. So on May 6, I'll be back on gchat! ;)
I make it sound like it wasn't a big deal, but let me tell you this was one of the hardest decisions I've made. I am SO SO SO happy with my life and even during the most stressful days at home with L, I've never wanted to be anywhere else for more than a few hours. And where I wanted to be was interacting with other adults and using my brain, but WITH him there too! (Well, actually, a few times I wanted to be getting a massage.) During the weeks I was interviewing, Tom and I had this exact conversation:
Me: I dunnoooooo, what should I do??
Tom: You should do what feels right to you.
Me: But I keep going back and forth. I just don't know what feels right.
Tom: It's your choice, babe.
Me: But he's your kid too, don't you want a say in how he spends his days?
Tom: I feel comfortable with both situations.
Me: Just tell me what to do!
Tom: No.
Literally, daily. Same conversation. So then I decided to seek counsel from my parents, in the hopes that they would tell me what to do. But... nope. Apparently they stop doing that when you're a real adult. So after lots of tears and talking through fears, I decided to try it out. What's the worst that can happen?? I hate it, and I quit. (Maybe my hormones haven't balanced back out yet!?) I'm not 110% sure it's the right decision, but I know I would always wonder if I didn't try.
I'm definitely looking forward to new challenges, meeting new people and having a little extra cash. But let me tell you, I am going to miss that little baby like nothing else in the world. My heart aches as I think about it, and I've been thinking about it a lot. He has brought a purpose to my life that no job could even come close to touching! But he might wanna go to college someday, so back to the grind I go.
So that's what's happening in our world! If you need me in the next week, I'll be over here lapping up all the baby love I can :)
I thought this might be coming when I saw your facebook callout for a nanny! I'm super excited for you!! AND jealous again of the shared commute you and your hubby will have - you know I'm a sap and think things like that are really cute ;). Liam is so lucky to have someone like you around who loves him so much she can't stand the thought of leaving him for more than a couple of hours. Fingers crossed and prayers being said for you friend!
ReplyDeletePS - I cannot WAIT for you to be back on gchat! :)
Thanks, friend! You're sweet :)
Delete